LaBarge Weinstein Reports Record Quarter for Tech M&A
OTTAWA, March 12, 2021 – LaBarge Weinstein announced a record 2020 4th quarter for tech M&A as the knowledge-based industry continues to recover and accelerate into 2021. Despite the general slowdown in the first half of 2020 due to the onset and uncertainty of Covid, the speed of deal making increased in the back half of 2020 as innovation continues to drive all parts of the economy as companies continue to reframe for the post-pandemic world.
This momentum comes after the firm closed a record-breaking amount of deals for 2020. The LaBarge Weinstein team remains hard at work as the firm assist their clients in 2021 with M&A, financings and commercial work.
“Together with an uptick in the number of transactions the Firm has been part of, the surge in valuations seen in public companies is being replicated in the acquisition of privately held knowledge-based companies throughout a broad range of targeted tech solutions and services. Businesses sold include SaaS storage, medical and pharmaceutical services and solutions, streaming solutions, sales and enablement solutions, managed services, secure communications and authentication and identification.” said Debbie Weinstein, co-founding partner.
“The shift comes in part from an organizational drive by brick-and-mortar businesses toward digital transformation, cloud offerings, enhanced security and network solutions, and remote technologies.” said Michael Sami, partner.
LaBarge Weinstein has seen the landscape for deals become increasingly competitive over the last quarter and noted a rise in deal valuations. Canadian knowledge-based companies are very attractive target for M&A’s due to many factors including innovative forward-thinking entrepreneurs, great culture, a diverse and stable workforce, government grants and a relatively low Canadian dollar. As one of Canada’s Top Corporate Law Boutiques of 2020 LaBarge Weinstein remains a top choice for legal guidance.
Consider reaching out to your favourite business legal advisors at LaBarge Weinstein today.
- Today’s announcement comes after LaBarge Weinstein experienced an unbelievably active amount of deals since September 2020. The LW team includes nearly 30 lawyers, over a wide variety of practice areas and expertise including corporate, finance, taxation, intellectual property and employment, all of whom work in M&A and have a combined 300+ years of experience in the industry.
- According to PwC’s November 2020 Pulse Survey of US, 76% of business leaders surveyed said their companies plan to increase their digital transformation investment moving into 2021.
- Private equity is expected to be a large part of corporate recovery going into 2021, especially in the tech sector. This leads to great opportunities for both those looking to acquire or sell in within the space.
- Publicly Announced Financing and M&A Transactions Involving LaBarge Weinstein
- PwCs Canadian M&A Industry and Market Trends
- Mergers & Acquisitions Team at LaBarge Weinstein
Founded in 1997, LaBarge Weinstein is a client-centric business law firm with offices in Ottawa, Vancouver and Toronto. With emphasis on knowledge based & technology companies, LaBarge Weinstein helps clients at every stage – start up, commercial contracting, financing, mergers and acquisitions and public company representation.
613.599.9600 ext 277