Social Media Olympic Moments: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- More than 50 million Olympic-related tweets were posted during the games.
- Michael Phelps was the most popular Olympian, with a whopping 574,515 mentions on Twitter and over 800,000 Facebook fans half way through the games.
- Football (a.k.a. soccer) was the most popular sport in the “Twitterverse.”
- The hashtag #NBCfail was born as criticisms of the USA’s broadcast coverage began to emerge.
- GPS technology used to track cyclists for television broadcasts was disabled by extremely high levels of mobile data traffic.
- Hope Solo’s ongoing criticism of commentary from the former American Olympic soccer player, Brandi Chastain.
- Greece’s Voula Papachristou was kicked off the Olympic team after posting a racist tweet just prior to the start of the games.
- British MP Aiden Burley created a storm after tweeting that the opening ceremonies were “leftie multicultural crap”
- A Tweet directed at Tom Daley criticized his synchronized diving performance saying that he had let down his deceased father.