Internet Providers Must Open Fibre Networks

Last week, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission announced that the country’s largest Internet providers will have to open up access of their fiber networks to smaller Internet service providers. The CRTC stated that this ruling will have many benefits for Canadian Internet consumers in the future.

Allowing independent ISPs to have access to the latest-generation fibre-based networks in Canada will stimulate competition, resulting in easier accessibility, more options and increased affordability of Internet services. The CRTC also wants this ruling to encourage higher investment in high-quality networks.

Currently, there are over 500 alternative Internet service providers in Canada, but only 8% of Canadians are using them. The other 92% of the population get their Internet from four very large telecom operators. The CRTC hopes to expand the variety of IPSs available to Canadians. However, this ruling does not solve everything. There are still many wrinkles to be ironed out, and high-quality services from smaller ISPs are not expected to be released until later next year. Despite these challenges, the CRTC’s ruling is certainly a step in the right direction, to provide Canadians with the best Internet service possible.

Read more here.

Start typing and press Enter to search