Happy Holidays 2014
Can you believe that another year has nearly come and gone already?
A lot of exciting things have happened at LaBarge Weinstein over the past 12 months. We added a lawyer to the partnership, hired three new associates and earlier this morning, we acted for a consortium of the world’s leading technology companies on the signing of an agreement for the largest transaction in our 17 years of practice – Rockstar Consortium’s sale of over 4,000 patents!
But enough about us, it’s our clients who deserve credit for all their amazing accomplishments. Here is a summary of a few highlights from 2014.
- Blacksumac, developers of the home security and automation product Piper, were honoured with an Innovation, Design and Engineering Award at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Then in April, Blacksumac was acquired by iControl Networks.
- After receiving a federal license from Health Canada to grow and sell medical marijuana, Tweed Inc. became the first producer to go public with a listing on the TSX Venture Exchange. If that wasn’t enough, they also raised $15 million through a bought deal public offering and acquired Park Lane Farms in Niagara-on-the-Lake, making them the only geographically diversified, multi-licensed producer in the country
- ScribbleLive’s content engagement platform was on the world stage having been used to drive viewer interaction during the Sochi winter games. With clients that include ABC, the Canadian Olympic Committee, CNN, ESPN, and Global, Olympic fans had behind-the-scenes access to the play-by-play of events, medal ceremonies, and everything in between.
- On May 20th, 30 startups from 16 countries were chosen to showcase their next generation technology at the Launch: Silicon Valley – The World Cup Tech Challenge held on the Microsoft Campus in Mountain View, California. Vantage Analytics and FormVerse were the only two Canadian companies selected to participate from a highly competitive group of applicants.
- SendtoNews signed a multi-year agreement with MLB Advanced Media digital for the distribution rights to MLB game highlights, interviews, top plays, and other MLB-related video throughout the United States and Canada.
- This past summer, Fluidware was acquired by SurveyMonkey, the world’s leading online survey platform.
- After being selected from over 1,000 applicants to participate in 500 Startups latest accelerator, GymTrack was also named one of TechCrunch’s 4 favourite companies at Demo Day.
- Dr. Sue Abu-Hakima, CEO of Amika Mobile, was named as a Top 25 Women of Influence™ for 2014 by North America’s leading organization dedicated to the advancement of women. Sue was one of five women acknowledged for their contribution and influence in business.
- In October, TinyMob Games launched Tiny Realm Battlegrounds, which quickly skyrocketed to the top of the Apple Store becoming “Best New App” in 100 countries.
- After establishing themselves as a leading online menswear brand, Frank & Oak are now building their presence offline. In November, they opened a second store and are planning additional locations throughout the country.
- SkyWave Mobile Communications was recently acquired by ORBCOMM, a leading global provider of Machine-to-Machine (M2M) solutions, for $130 million.
- 360pi, Epic Perks, Fusebill, Gesture Logik, MicroMetrics, Ottawa Sport & Entertainment Group, Shopify, and Tweed Inc. were honoured as recipients of the 2014 Best Ottawa Business Awards on November 20th.
- With a $1 billion valuation and more than 120,000 stores using Shopify worldwide, it’s no surprise that Shopify’s CEO, Tobi Lütke, was recently named Canadian CEO of the Year by the Globe and Mail.
We would like to thank all of our clients and industry partners for a great year. Have a wonderful holiday season and all the best in 2015!