Mike is a partner of LaBarge Weinstein and joined the firm in July 2000 after seven years of practice at two national law firms in Toronto. His clients include companies at all stages of development, from startups to established public companies. Mike has extensive experience in representing purchasers and vendors in mergers and acquisitions, issuers and underwriters in public offerings, and companies and their investors in private equity financings. A specialist in corporate law, corporate finance, and securities law, Mike also has an extensive background in technology contracting, including drafting and negotiating agreements for the licensing, development and distribution of technology and the outsourcing of technology services.
Mike works with numerous technology companies at all stages of development in such diverse industries as e-business, SaaS and enterprise software, semiconductors, medical and consumer devices, online gaming, materials technologies, Bitcoin, telematics, business analytics, managed IT services, and many others. Mike also works with angel and institutional investors in their early and later stage investment transactions.
A few of Mike’s notable transactions have included:
- Rockstar Consortium and its partners, Apple, Microsoft, Ericsson, Blackberry and Sony, in its $900M sale of its patent portfolio (over 4,000 patents from the former Nortel portfolio) to RPX Corp.
- Radian6 Technologies and its shareholders in its $360M sale to salesforce.com Inc.
- Fusebill’s $6 Million Series A Financing
- Peraso in its $20 Million Series C Financing
- TUC Managed IT Solutions (TUC) in its merger with CareWorx
- Brovada in its sale to Towers Watson
- Protus IP Solutions and its shareholders in its $212M sale to j2 Global Communications
- CogniVue’s sale to Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL)
- IMRIS Inc. in its initial public offerings in Canada (2007) and the United States (2010);
- Accelio Corporation (formerly JetForm), in its successful defense of a hostile takeover bid by OpenText Corporation and subsequent $110 million sale to Adobe Systems Inc.;
- Major shareholders of Broadband Networks, in its $600 million sale to Nortel Networks;
- MetroPhotonics Inc., in its $50 million brokered private financing;
- GeoTrain Corporation, in its private sale to Global Knowledge for an undisclosed amount;
- Shareholders of Loran Technologies, in its $130 million sale to Peregrine Systems;
- A major shareholder of ImagicTV, in its $45 million sale to Alcatel; and
- A variety of venture capital firms in various investment activities, including Blackberry Partners Fund, Canadian Water Projects, Centara Investments, Covington Capital, East Valley Ventures, Growthworks, Summerhill Venture Partners (formerly BCE Capital), Whitecastle Investments and VenGrowth.